Frequently asked questions

Shares for Good accepts donations of any shares listed on the main board of the New Zealand stock exchange, NZX. Please note that there are some circumstances when it is not possible to transfer shares to Shares for Good, such as when the company has gone into administration. The relevant registry will contact you if the share transfer cannot be processed for any reason. Please note that we are unable to accept donations of unlisted securities or debt securities such as notes or bonds.

No, there is no limit to the value of shares that can be donated to Shares for Good and sold free of brokerage.

A small parcel of shares is a term often used to describe an unmarketable parcel. This generally means a holding with a value less than NZD$500. It is called unmarketable because it may be difficult and/or expensive to sell. There are a number of reasons why a shareholder could have a holding like this including a fall in the share price, a dividend reinvestment or a bequest in a Will. You should seek advice from a financial adviser if you have any questions about the value of your shares and the cost to sell.

Shares for Good does not disclose the details of the donor to charities without your direct consent. If you request a receipt from the recipient charity you are giving consent to Shares for Good to provide your personal details to that charity.

A Shares for Good campaign allows the company to easily support the community sector and still benefit. Including information about Shares for Good in one of its regular communications to shareholders keeps the costs to a minimum and in return, as small shareholders accept the offer, it can significantly reduce future shareholder communication costs as small shareholdings are removed from the register.

Shares for Good provides shareholders with a genuine avenue to divest shareholdings free of brokerage and potentially receive a tax credit. It also allows them to generate community value from what may well be an idle asset, particularly small parcels of shares.

The recipient charities are decided by the Trustees of Shares for Good following due diligence and are generally appointed for a one year period beginning 1 April. Individual donors cannot recommend a charity to receive donations however they can select one of the recipient charities to receive the proceeds being donated. Charities can apply to Shares for Good to be a recipient charity – Shares for Good accepts applications each November for consideration to be recipient charity the following financial year.

The shares donated will be sold at the end of each quarter during the year that a charity is a recipient charity. The value donated to the charity will be 100% of the value that Shares for Good receives at the time of sale.

Yes, Shares for Good accepts applications in writing for funding directly from charities in the month of November only for consideration to be recipient charity the following financial year. Please post an application to Shares for Good, PO Box 2085, Shortland Street, Auckland 1010

Shares for Good supports New Zealand registered charities, which have the primary purpose of addressing social issues, or serving public interest or common good.
Shares for Good takes advice when determining which charity partners are selected each year.

Donations are expected to be made on a quarterly basis.

Please call relevant registry Computershare or Link Market Services. Link has published an Estate Administration guide here.

If you require a receipt for tax or other purposes you need to tick the relevant box on the online donation form as receipts are not produced automatically. Receipts will be calculated on the value of the shares when sold and will be issued in the name of the donor as specified by you on the donation form. Receipts will be provided via the email address that you nominated after the successful transfer is processed which will occur as soon as possible after the end of each quarter.

If you make a financial donation to Shares for Good you may be able to claim part of it back as a tax credit. To claim a tax credit you would need to make an application to Inland Revenue Department (IRD) and attach donation receipt. For further information and/or to find out if you are eligible for a tax credit, please refer to IRD website